Mini Pumpkin Pop Tarts
Autumn nostalgia is the best kinds of nostalgia.
Inspired by the one of the greatest toaster pastries that we all know and love. POP TARTS! These mini homemade pop tarts are definitely a labor of love. It's a fun project when the whole family gets involved. Especially while your favorite fall movie plays in the background.
A box of prepared pie crust or Homemade pie crust
1/2 cup pumpkin or butternut squash
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 TBSP egg white (pasteurized)
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract (real)
Food dye (optional)
1) Roll out the pie crust. If you are using prepared crust, make sure it is thawed.
2) Cut the crust into even rectangles using a ruler and a pizza cutter. About 1 ½ by 2 inches.
3) For the filling mix the pumpkin, brown sugar, egg, pumpkin pie spice and a pinch of salt until combined.
4) To assemble, add a small bit of filling to the center of the crust making sure not to touch the edges with filling. DO NOT OVER FILL!
5) With a small brush or your finger, lightly brush a bit of water around the outside of the crust. This helps the crust stick together.
6) Add the top crust and lightly pinch the outside of the tart with your fingers.
7) With a small toothpick add crimp lines around the tart and poke vent holes on top.
8) Place Pop Tarts on a parchment lined baking tray and bake. The time and temperature is determined by the crust you are using. Follow the baking time on the box.
9) To make the icing, mix powdered sugar, egg white, vanilla, and food dye (optional) until smooth.
10) Once tarts are baked, spoon the icing onto and embellish with sprinkles.
11) Let dry and ENJOY!
*This can be done with homemade or store bought crust.
*I use pasteurized egg whites for the icing.
*DO NOT OVERFILL THE TART! This will cause them to bust open and the bottoms may burn.
* The time and temperature is determined by the crust you are using. Follow the baking time on the box or by the recipe you are using.
* If you find making them mini to be tedious, you can make them larger.